> Date:          Tue, 19 Aug 1997 16:19:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Walker)
> Subject:       [PEN-L:11893] Re: Risk and Unequal Opportunity under cap

> ulterior motivation of bureaucrats, politicians or voters. In other words,
> bureaucrats may sincerely believe it is better *public policy* to fail
> conventionally, not merely a career expedient. ;-)

Obviously the probabilities of success have
everything to do with the relative merits of
going by convention or otherwise.  By definition,
convention would connote that which is more
reliable, hence bureaucratic rationality follows
for the slogan cited.

The penalty side is also worth mentioning.
The penalty for failing unconventionally would be
higher than failing conventionally.  (e.g., "You
tried WHAT?!?")

I worked in the Federal bureaucracy for
a few years and the biggest secret I have to
impart is that bureaucrats act entirely
at the behest of elected officials.
Every nook and cranny of the bureaucracy
has a patron somewhere; otherwise it wouldn't be
there.  If you don't obey your patron, you're
toast.  Your only defense is information you
have and they don't, but there is always
some traitor among your peers willing to
give you up, so information isn't that useful
either.  Hence *insofar* as voters get the
politicians they deserve, they get the
bureaucracy they deserve too.  All of which
doesn't seem without merit from a democratic
standpoint.

MBS

Max B. Sawicky           Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Suite 1200
202-775-8810 (voice)     1660 L Street, NW
202-775-0819 (fax)       Washington, DC  20036

Opinions here do not necessarily represent the
views of anyone associated with the Economic
Policy Institute.