Puerto Rico, Democracy and Anti-Colonialism in a
          Post-Colonial World?

          Ted Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

          <<I was disturbed by Victor Rodriguez's comment that:
                Recently, the Machetero Guerrilla Army which since
          its dramatic attacks during the 980s (including the bombing
          of several U.S. Air Force Corsair planes, FBI offices) has not
          conducted military operations, warned that it would retaliate
          if the sale was finalized.>>
          <<  I can understand the frustration of statists who are
          frustrated when the democratic process goes against them,
          but if the elected government of Puerto
          Rico decides to sell its telephone company, this is not a
          moral justification for armed terrorism.>>
          <<I know Victor did not actually advocate this, but using it as
          a threat is also morally wrong in my view.  Democracy is
          very important in Latin America
          as elsewhere, and people should respect the results of the
          democratic process.>>

          Ted is absolutely right when he says I am not advocating a
          military response I am just sharing information about the
          nature of anti-colonial dynamics in this wacky post-colonial,
          globalized etc. world. However, it seems to me the moral
          issue is quite different from the way Ted frames it.
          Particularly in these post-cold war times when the victorious
          capitalist consumer culture has even "commodified" Ernesto
          "Che" Guevara ( I saw a nice coffee cup the other day with
          chic red letters "Che!") who probably was the most eloquent
          proponent of military (violent etc.) response by the
          oppressed.

          Poet Adrienne Rich's recent piece rejecting the National Arts
          medal makes a call for re-understanding Marx, indeed
          Lenin's finance capital concept seems quite insightful today,
          maybe deserving of a critical re-reading. Maybe we need to
          think through some of the cliches about democracy in this
          new era? When is democracy truly democratic?

          Probably most would agree that the formal process of voting
          is a necessary but not a defining element of a democratic
          system. Most communist, and other capitalists dictatorships
          have had elections. At the very least a democratic process
          would insure that the will of the people is heard and
          implemented and that there is protection of dissenting views.
          Puerto Rico's colonial system does not satisfy these
          principles.

          First of all, at a time when the world nations are discussing
          the interdependence of national political and economic
          systems Puerto Rico is still grappling with the 19th century
          issue of colonialism or the lack of democracy (with the
          devolution of Hong King P.R. remains as the last major
          colonial possession). Puerto Ricans have served (been
          drafted) in to the U.S. armed forces in every military conflict
          (war) since 1917 however they have not voting
          representative in Congress. Puerto Rican land is held by
          U.S. armed forces for military outposts, communications
          centers etc. without any local sanction. Despite Puerto Rico's
          constitution prohibition and Puerto Rican cultural values
          abhorrence of the death penalty, federal law imposed it on
          federal-related cases. Puerto Ricans can't choose their
          currency, with whom they trade (unless permission is
          granted by a federal bureaucrat) or decide what kind of
          standards are applied to local, Puerto Rican (in Spanish)
          television and radio communication, environment, or health
          regulations unless a non-Spanish "American" authorizes it.
               To top this off, the process to "define Puerto Rico's
          status" (Young Bill in Congress) does not follow basic
          international law guidelines, including allowing "foreigners"
          (Non-Puerto Ricans residing in the island and whose
          resident status is determined by the U.S. not local
          "democratic" authorities) to vote in deciding the island's
          future but not allowing Puerto Ricans who had to migrate to
          the US. to vote (similar to tactics of settler states to dilute
          indigenous population strength). A significant portion of the
          exiles are in some sense political exiles who experienced
          repression in their own homeland by federal agencies (See
          Ronald Fernandez' "Disenchanted Island  (1996)"
          particularly Ch 8 on FBI's Cointelpro's campaign against pro-
          independence followers).
               Firstly, the government has a democratic facade that
          hides its colonial reality (unless democracy is the ability of a
          slave to determine where the branding will be placed on
          his/her body) since most polls indicate that Puerto Ricans do
          not want the telephone company to be sold, secondly, the
          local colonial government did not have this sale as part of it
          platform. Thirdly, the sale of this important local resource will
          dismantle a system that has allowed the island to survive in
          face of  many obstacles and preclude it from having the kind
          of infrastructure necessary to compete effective in new
          global economy.
               How come an anti-colonial struggle today against the
          U.S. is branded as armed terrorism, but one led by George
          Washington is hailed as a democratic epic? It is difficult for
          us to discern these things with the clarity we seem to do it
          with past historical events, particularly when we are
          perceived as the oppressors. Next year is the 100th year of
          Puerto Rico's military "conquest' ( the euphemism is the
          "change of sovereignty" in traditional history) after the
          Spanish-American War. A war, that I might add, also had
          some questionable moral implications as we learn more of
          how it unfolded as the U.S. entry into the imperialistic club.
          Pedro Albizu Campos, a Puerto Rican nationalist patriot
          revered today in the Puerto Rico's popular culture (with
          monuments, schools and streets named after him from
          Chicago, New York to Puerto Rico)  used to say that the
          issue of Puerto Rico's colonial status was the Achilles heel of
          U.S. liberals. Next year will provide some supporting or
          challenging evidence of his hypothesis.

          Victor M. Rodriguez
           Irvine, CA