As it has been suggested to me privately that I have misunderstood this
child tax credit, I reproduce what I read in the WSJ:

"Neither Mr. Clinton nor Congressional Republicans are interested in
subsidizing the very poor. Families who make less than $19,000 or so
wouldn't benefit from White House, Senate or House plans, although they
would under alternatives offered by Democratic leaders of the House and
Senate. And all three bills would give the $500-a-child credit to families
with children smack in the middle of the middle class whose income,
according to the latest Census Bureau data is about $40,000 a year. (About
one sixth of the 37 families with children have incomes below $15,000 and
one sixth above $75,000.)

"The big issue is whether to give any money to  working families with
incomes bewtween roughly $19,000 and $28,000. Mr Clinton would, the House
wouldn't and the Senate is in between. In a recent interview, Mr Gingrich
acknowledged the president "may well get something" in the end 'because we
want the bill signed.'"WSJ, 23 July, 1997, A20

Now if there is going to be a child tax credit, why should the really poor
not get it? Because they already enjoy the EITC?

Well, others who will enjoy this kiddie tax credit also enjoy tax breaks as
well (eg, mortgage deductions). It cannot be because the really poor
already enjoy a tax break (the EITC necessary for their reproduction as
wage slaves after all) that the "really poor" are being punished by
disqualification for this child tax credit. Clinton is just using tax
policy against those whom he doesn't have the guts to call openly "the
unfit". As a further example, why is he giving a tax break to families for
kids in college for which this tax break poor families will *not* qualify
*even* if family members are in college, much less if they are not.

Rakesh