Greetings,

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

[Snip...}

> At any rate, Doug, I think that data on income inequality are pretty
> irrelevant to the empirical confirmation of Marxian theory. It would be
> more important to determine the rate of exploitation through a rejection of
> wage share as its proxy or to determine whether real wage gains are only
> coming at the expense of greater misery with the production process, that
> abode into which bourgeois economists remain reluctant to enter.
>
> Rakesh
> Grad Student
> UC Berkeley

        I would not argue that "data on income inequality are pretty
irrelevant to the empirical confirmation of Marxian theory."  Data on
income inequality as well as data on other forms of inequality actually
substantiate Marxism.  But it is true that more important than data on
income inequality is the determination of the rate of surplus value.  This
is the key way to determine the level and direction of development of
society.

Shawgi Tell
Graduate School of Education
University at Buffalo