>Whereas African American males have born the brunt of the trend toward
>greater incarceration rates in the US, the correlation between rising
>incarceration and rising incomes among those "participating" in the
>labor market is becoming fantastically overblown. The concern about the
>high proportion of the A-A population having experience with the
>criminal justice system is important for many reasons. After all,
>convicted felons, however trivial (i.e., marihuana possession) the
>felony classification, are unable to vote.

That's actually no longer true. After finishing parole a felon can vote. I
was convicted of felonous tresspassing for the Diablo Canyon power plant
occupation by those opposed to glowing in the dark and felonous misconduct
on the picket line during the Greyhound strike and I can still vote in
California and the Federal elections. Historically felons were required to
register to vote only at the courthouse (making it more unlikely) but now
we get to register just like everybody else.

If memory serves me
>correctly, IF current felony conviction rates are extended into the
>future, a whoppingly big IF, we could end up with between 20 and 25
>percent of A-A males who have had a felony conviction by the year 2010
>or so. The trend may be subsiding. First, because of an aging
>population. Second, the cost of incarceration is become ever more
>unsustainable.

>From your lips to God's ear.
>
>The household income connection is overblown for a number of reasons.
>First, A-A males have always been incarcerated several times more,
>proportionally, than whites.

Again it is higher now than ever. I may be wrong, I only suggest you
research the data, not make it up.

 So, any change in income must be explained