On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I got a flyer in yesterday's mail announcing a series of seminars on "How
> To Stay Union-Free into the 21st Century" (printed with "UNION FREE" in red
> in what looks like 96- or 100-point type, in contrast with the rest of the
> phrase, which was merely in 30-point black type). It's sponsored by
> Executive Enterprises of New York, along with the law firm of Jackson,
> Lewis, Schnitzler, and Krupman, and will be offered in 8 U.S. cities and
> Toronto this spring.

Take a look at Confessions of a Union Buster for some idea of what they
would talk about. The general scuttlebutt is that they tell employers to
violate the law, that it is cost-effective, and then give them specifics
as to how to do it. Evidence would tend to suggest that this might be the
case, since one sees a wave of tactics pass through during a particular
time period. If this is the case - that they are advising employers to
violate the law - they would certainly want to keep these sessions close:
they could be disbarred. Plus telling folks that these are super- top
secret probably makes them seem more enticing. The Practicing Law
Institute publishes a Jackson, Lewis, Krupman book called, " Winning NLRB
Elections: Management's Strategy and Preventative Programs." They also
have a reputation as a union-busting firm that has allied itself with
non-attorneys who do not risk disbarment if they advise breaking the law.

> Has anyone ever been to one of these things? What are these secret tactics?
> Has anyone ever written up one of these things? Any volunteers to
> infiltrate it for LBO (sorry, we can't cover the $1,500 "tuition" fee)?

It would be interesting for the Right person to infiltrate. It would
obviously have to be a man, someone who of a hail fellow well met variety.

Ellen

Ellen J. Dannin
California Western School of Law
225 Cedar Street