John, you are essentially correct regarding the torrid rental
market in the Bay Area.  Job growth is outstripping housing
supply here, and really has (statistically speaking) since the
1970s.

This is compounded in Berkeley (where I work as a housing
planner) by the state legislature's pre-emption of strong rent
control (vacancy control on rental units) in 1996.  Landlords are
finding that if their units come vacant they can jack up the
rents on vacant units 15 percent a year through 1998 in
compliance with state law; after January 1, 1999, they can seek
"market" rent.

In terms of housing programs, this means that the Section 8
program is having great difficulties retaining landlords and
finding new ones for Section 8 tenants (whose incomes are at or
below 50 percent of the area median income - $22,150 for one
person, $25,300 for two people, etc.).  Landlords can do better
in this housing market renting to college students and can afford
to skip Section 8.  Under strong rent control here, the situation
was the reverse (because Section 8 units were exempt from rent
control).  This has directly led to a decline in "low rent
units."  Perhaps not a decline in absolute numbers of units, but
in the number of units rentable at a given price, this is
definitely the case.

Using Rent Board data for our recent draft homeless housing and
services plan, we figured out here that there were some 10,000
rental units in Berkeley in 1990 renting at or below $400; 6
years later (1996), there were 1,300 such units.

The fact that the federal government has reduced to a trickle the
supply of new public housing units and Section 8 certificates or
vouchers means that there is very little new assistance out there
for folks who could really use it to stay afloat (bad El Nino
joke there).  This trend was begun by Reagan, and has been
continued by the Republican congress (and a lack of real passion
for urban policy from the Clintonians).

Berkeley has a rental removal ordinance that prohibits removal of
housing units in town; but other communities in the Bay Area
rezone residential housing and land in response to
non-residential development pressures (read:  "fiscalization of
land use" in the wake of prop 13) and then demolish housing
(often apartments) to make way for jobs that increase the traffic
on the region's freeways because people have to live 80 to 100
miles away in order to own housing, etc.  The processes you've
identified compound this exurban trend in northern California
(including the Sacramento region).

I haven't heard that the housing market has cooled at all
resulting from the "Asian flu," especially if the San Francisco
Examiner is to be believed.  I tend to think it would cool nearly
overnight if Greenspan and the FOMC raise the prime rate anytime
soon.  I leave it to others to read those tea leaves.

Cheers,
Tim Stroshane