C. Bond,

        In lieu of the proposed dam, what would you propose to supply
power/water/flood control?  I am no fan of big dams because of the way
they effect the riverine environment, at the same time my understanding is
that smaller dam/flood-control-reservoir projects actually drown more net
acreage and cost more.  I'm in favor of them, but where is the money to
come from and more importantly where is the political consensus to come
from?

        I may not agree with LM on most things, but they have a point:
holding back development in that region is not an option.  Therefore
hydro-power seems like a sensible thing to undertake espcially in India.
First, India has great need for better water management.  Second India has
a lot of coal and they will use it to generate power if cleaner sources
are not made available.

        peace