michael perelman wrote:

>Korean workers seem to be far more daring than the Russians, except for
>the workers located far from centers of power [miners].  Am I wrong
>here?

May be I could respond to this post?

Michael Perelman is right, but only to some extent and a lot of it has to do
with the coverage the Russian strikes or other political (I say 'political'
for I consider strikes just that) actions receive in the US and many other
Western states. Basically, strikes - in every part of the country and by
workers in every sphere, with miners dominating - have become so commonplace
in Russia that the West does not deem them worthy of coverage. This is a
more or less simple reason. There are more complex reasons the strikes are
either not covered or, if they are covered, they receive less prominent
attention than strikes in, say, Korea.

It seems to me, another reason for the lack of coverage of the Russian
strikes is that it is more difficult to demonize the Russian workers, who
are not yet producing consumer goods on which many Western workers depend
(Hyundai, Daewoo, Goldstar/GL Electronics, etc.). This ideological tool for
breaking the working class the world over is also not salient in the case of
the Russian workers because labour action is usually viewed with less terror
by the leaders of the Russian industry, finance and the state. This is
primarily because, as I mentioned in my last post: there is not much of
value (particularly of value to the West) produced in Russia these days.
There is little foreign direct investment which would be effected by labour
unrest. Most foreign activity is in the form of speculation, which is why we
have been hearing about the financial crisis day and night and not about the
unpaid, financially/physically/morally impoverished Russian workers, who
have worked in unsafe, often life-threating conditions for the past six
years or so. Moreover, because the Russian unions have retained the central
feature of the Soviet Unions - namely, they are of conciliatory rather than
adversarial nature and act in concord with the paternalistic management - it
seems to me, the strikes are resolved quicker than in the capitalist
economies and/or workers usually settle for what might appear to us as
'less'. This is probably less because the Russian workers are not daring.
The numerous (still quite unsuccessful) attempts to initiate new, more
radical unions by some worker activists is evidence of this. But there are
more weighty material reasons why many Russian workers continue to rely on
old (paternalistic, conciliatory, class-struggle-displacing) union
structures: when workers are not paid for months at a time and when the
existing unions can provide generous social benefits and consumer goods
which the workers can trade on the market for other goods (probably with
workers from other enterprises) they are less likely to reject the old
unions.

So the strikes are more numerous but less prominent in the media, with the
workers (except in some cases, like the miners, who are also more
geographically remote from the centre) appearing less daring. As mentioned
above, this is more or less at the level of appearances, and the corporate
media (as well as some alternative media sources that in many cases rely on
the big guys for their international news) is largely to blame for this. The
Green Left Weekly (http://www.peg.apc.org/~greenleft/) is an excellent
alternative media source which, thanks to Renfrey Clarke and Boris
Kagarlitsky, has great coverage of events in Russia. Also worthy of
consideration is The Hindustan Times (http://www.hindustantimes.com/) where
Fred Weir publishes.

All the best,

Greg.