I've been reading the Russian posts with great interest and alarm, and
thanks to the pen-lers who've contributed this vital news.  I have a question
that has occurred in light of the info received. I keep thinking of parallels to
Germany in the 1920s in their collapse, except that the role of overseas
hard-currency demands in the wake of Versailles is now taken by the demands
of hard-currency holders within the country and without it, in a complicated
class split. For that matter, the place of the WWI defeat is taken by
a combination of Afghanistan defeat, lost border skirmishes/control problems,
and lost USSR.
OK, the question: is there any leader who may present a plausible
parallel with Hitler?  There has been a lot of discussion of military and party
clannish behavior.  And I remember reading about one or more strong military
types in recent years.  Is anyone waiting in the wings who commands popular
respect and is a "comer"? There is certainly enough chaos to go around--will
anyone try to reap this whirlwind?

Gary D.

Gary Dymski
Department of Economics