... A Call for Solidarity and Action ...

JOIN ACTIVE RESISTANCE
Vancouver Tent City
January 7th-10th, 1997

Rally and Set-up: Tuesday, January 7th, 12:30pm
Outside Waterfront Skytrain Station Entrance (foot of Howe Street)

Had enough of the neo-liberal agenda? Are you fed up with "free" trade?
Tired of corporate media complicity with big business and government? Get
involved in the Active Resistance Tent City ...

Individuals and groups in Vancouver are planning a tent city between
January 7th to 10th, 1997, and need your help. Our "Active Resistance
Zone" will coincide with the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum to be held
at the Waterfront Center Hotel near Canada Place. The Forum -- which
includes "parliamentarians" from the Asia-Pacific region -- is part of
Canada's lead role in APEC and marks the beginning of the Chretien
government's self-declared "Year of the Asia-Pacific."

Canada is a founding member of APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation)
which is comprised of 18 Pacific Rim nations. APEC aims to impose a free
trade zone in the region by the year 2020. Canada is hosting the APEC
process in 1997 and will stage a series of high-level meetings throughout
the year, culminating in a Leaders' Summit to be held in Vancouver this
November.

For Canadian businesses, APEC means cheap wages, anti-union policies, lax
or non-existent labour, environmental and human rights standards and cheap
access to natural resources. APEC will mean the further lowering of living
and working conditions for marginalized people in Canada and abroad --
women, workers, indigenous peoples, youth -- and further environmental
degradation.

In Vancouver, the imminent arrival of the APEC process has already
resulted in "clean up" operations in the Downtown Eastside. Police
presence has been tripled in the area and there has been increased
harassment of those who live on the street.

The Active Resistance Tent City is about creating a space to talk about
those issues and concerns that matter to us, as defined by us. For four
days and three nights, our Active Resistance Tent City will be in the face
of international and local "dignataries" and media, showing our opposition
to their pre-ordained policies through our actions, and stimulating
discussion and debate in our words.

To help and get involved, contact ACTIVE RESISTANCE:
Tel: (604) 251-9914 * E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

(Please post and forward.)

-30-

The next planning meeting for the VANCOUVER ACTIVE RESISTANCE TENT
CITY will be Saturday, January 4th at 2pm. The meeting will be held at the La
Quena Coffeehouse at 1111 Commercial Drive in Vancouver. Please come by
and help.