On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Michael Perelman wrote:

> Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:10:04 -0700
> From: Michael Perelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [PEN-L:19795] Re: Fullbright moves to the left (fwd)
>
> I did not think that they moved to the left either.  I just found the response
> entertaining.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > thanks for the info. btw, economics does not look "as" controversial as
> > other social sciences  such as political science, sociology, history
> > etc... so that might be the reason that they have awards for econ people..
> > still econ is considered to be non-political..
> >
> > in any case, I don't think that fullbright moves to the left (as an
> > institution.). i am not talking about award winners here. they might be
> > leftish individually. for them to look leftish (at least in rhetoric),
> > US citizenship requirement should be removed for people applying from the
> > US. I should not be exported to my country to apply..
> >
> > merci,
> >
> > Mine
> >
> > Eugenia Iankova passed along your message about the Fulbright
> >      organization being leery of accepting any leftish people. I had to
> >      chuckle because I consider myself "leftish" and I not only went on
> >      Fulbright to China in 1996-96, I am now working for them. So far my
> >
> >      politics have not been an issue. Shall I send you an application?
> >      We've got a lot of awards for economists.
> >
> >      Regards,
> >
> >      Judy Pehrson
> >      Director of External Relations
> >
> > --
> > Michael Perelman
> > Economics Department
> > California State University
> > Chico, CA 95929
> >
> > Tel. 530-898-5321
> > E-Mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> --
>
> Michael Perelman
> Economics Department
> California State University
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Chico, CA 95929
> 530-898-5321
> fax 530-898-5901

By the way there are many types of Fulbright awards.  There are teaching
awards for US citizens, research awards for US residents as well, and
there are dissertation awards for US students.  There are similar awards
for candidates from abroad from their home countries.  I was a recipient
of a Faculty Research award in 1991, carrying out field work in India and
Japan for 5 months, I am not a US citizen.  I doubt politics should matter
really unless you are thinking of overthrowing the Fulbright institution
itself.  Besides what is left and center and right are not all that
crystal clear either.

Cheers, Anthony
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony P. D'Costa
Associate Professor                             Ph: (253) 692-4462
Comparative International Development           Fax: (253) 692-5612
University of Washington                        Box Number: 358436
1900 Commerce Street
Tacoma, WA 98402, USA
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx