michael perelman wrote,

>A couple of days ago NPR had a story about Native Americans being poor
>employees because their family obligations are too strong.  They are too
>prone to take time off to help a friend or family member in need.

Yesterday, I went to a memorial service for a good friend who died in
August. Today, my brother called to tell me that our cousin had taken her life.

Those of us (the majority) who didn't die before we got old are getting old.
Dying. Getting sick. Sick and tired.

The last great hope is that the assholes who managed to avoid acquiring a
tragic view through sheer inattentiveness will now have no choice as
attrition wears down their Howdy-Doody masks.

A couple of months ago, I was fiddling around with population pyramids,
mortality rates and labour force participation rates. I stared at the screen
and a grinning skull stared back at me -- the face of a generation.

Remember the fabulous baby boom? It shot it's demographically unprecedented
retirement savings wad into the financial firmament. What comes next is not
quite as much. Not quite as much is never quite enough to call growth.

The byrds took their words from Ecclesiastes. Turn, turn, turn. Nothing new
under the sun. A time for everything. A time for love, a time for hate, a
time for war, a time for peace, I swear its not too late.

But not on company time. If you're going to die be sure to do it on your own
time and come in the next day to make up for the time you've lost. This is
where the Marx hits the pavement. Read the message from Michael and ask
"what the fuck else is there?" money? trends? tenure?

>A couple of days ago NPR had a story about Native Americans being poor
>employees because their family obligations are too strong.  They are too
>prone to take time off to help a friend or family member in need.

Regards,

Tom Walker
#408 1035 Pacific St.
Vancouver, B.C.