Between February and April of this year David Croteau of Virginia
Commonwealth University conducted a survey of Washington, D.C. based
journalists. His report on that survey is on the Fairness and Accuracy in
Reporting (FAIR) website:

http://www.fair.org/reports/journalist-survey.html

The results of two questions (below) neatly sum up the findings: economic
conditions looked pretty good to reporters making a lot of money. I wonder
if there was any correlation between the 31% of journalists with household
incomes over $150,000 and the 34% who rated economic conditions as
excellent? Similarly, 58% thought economic conditions were good and 64% had
household incomes between $50,000 and $149,999 a year.

Questions About Journalists' Assessment of Economic Policy Issues

9. First, how would you rate economic conditions in this country today?
        34% Excellent
        58% Good
         4% Fair
         1% Poor
         2% Don't know/not sure

24. For classification purposes, into which of the following ranges does
your annual household income fall?
       5% under $50,000
      27% $50,000 - $74,999
      16% $75,000 - $99,999
      21% $100,000 - $149,999
      17% $150,000 - $199,999
      14% $200,000 or more

It would be fun to ask those folks a couple of follow up questions: 1. How
do you rate economic conditions _now_? 2. Have you lost any money in the
market this year?

Back in the 1970s, Habermas wrote of the displacement of crisis tendencies
in advanced capitalism -- from economic crisis to rationality crisis,
legitimation crisis and motivation crisis. Here's a great quote from the
book, _Legitimation Crisis_:

"If governmental crisis management fails, it lags behind programmatic
demands *that it has placed on itself* [emphasis in original]. The penalty
for this failure is withdrawal of legitimation. Thus, the scope for action
contracts precisely at those moments in which it needs to be drastically
expanded."

On the back cover of my Beacon Paperback edition is the following blurb from
Jeremy J. Shapiro:

"Shall we sit back and watch our social system crumble on the TV screen? Or
can we step out of our private views and interests, figure out what is
objectively good for the human species, and act on it?"

The responses of reporters in the above survey exemplify the view that
private interests *equal* public good. The term 'conflict of interest' seems
quaint in juxtaposition with the motivations celebrated by free market ideology.

It seem to me that what we have been seeing over the past year and a half is
not "economic crisis" but the rapid and _irreversible_ displacement of
economic problems into legitimation crises. Underlying this almost
instantaneous decay of the system has been the slow erosion of morally
defensible (traditionalist) structures of individual motivations. As
Habermas argued, "Bourgeois culture as a whole was never able to reproduce
itself from itself. It was always dependent on motivationally effective
supplementation by traditional world views."

There is no economic fix to the current crisis simply because it is NOT an
economic crisis. THIS is the second shoe.

Regards,

Tom Walker
#408 1035 Pacific St.
Vancouver, B.C.