I think the relationship between competition and concentration should be
seen in dialectical terms.  One leads to the other in a dynamic context,
showing considerable variability among sectors under study.  A useful,
accessible chapter, albeit for a different topic, is from Rhy Jenkins
(1987) Transnational Corporations and Uneven Development, New York:
Methuen & Co.

Anthony D'Costa
U of Washington, Tacoma