In support of some of the discussion of the crisis of
distribution both here and on the PKT semimar list with
Jamie Galbraith's _Created Unequal_, I offer the following
that appeeared in the Winnipeg Free Press, Oct. 30, '98.

"MDs prescribe better pay for the poor"

"Meagre wages linked to lousy health, medical officers
tell review board."

By Catherine Mitchell

"Manitoba's medical officers of health are pusing the province to
raise the minimum wage, saying the current rate contributes to
the depressed health status of the working poor.
  Raising the minimum wage is as important to community health as
inoculating people against diseases such as hepatitis B and
influenza, said Dr. Penny Sutcliffe, medical officer of health
for the Burntwood and Thopson regions. [i.e. northern Manitoba]
  Sutcliff, her 13 colleagues and four residents in training signed
a submission to the minimum wage review board outlining the
numberous studies that show the gap between the rich and the poor
directly impacts the well-being of those at the bottom of the
income scale.
  It is the first time the doctors, employees of various levels
of government, have spoken out as a group about the wage level,
she said.
  The submission says the wage, as soon as possible, should be
raised, incrementally, to meet the low income cutoff for a
single person.  That cutoff -- considered the level at which
a person spends about 54 per cent of their income on basic
necessities such as food, shelter and clothing -- is $7.85 and
hour for the city of Winnipeg, Sutcliffe said.
  She said the doctors felt compelled to voice their opinion
given the weight of evidence documented in recent years
relating income to population health.
  The doctors' submission cites almost 40 studies and
reports that indicate, generally, that the poor and working
poor suffer from more diesease and ill health.  It also outlines research
that found that much the same as poverty and unemployment, the
distribution of society's wealth affects health and well-being.
  It is the job of medical officers 'to promote, preserve and
protect the health of Manitobans,' and speaking about
income disparity is part of that responsibility, Sutcliffe said.
  'Certainly its's just as important as a hepatitis B campaign,'
Sutcliffe said.
  'I agree with her and maybe it (minimum wage) is more
important,' said Joel Kettner, medical officer of health for
the Winnipeg Community and Longterm Care Authority.
  'If we can resolve the problems of inequity in income and
social status we'll go an enormous way to solving our
health problems.'
  The doctors stressed raising the wage obviously would not
alone address the health issues of the poor, but it would
definitely help.

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba