I apologize for any criticism of Elaine Barnard and the Harvard Trade Union
Program  that some may have inferred from my earlier post (meant
humorously!).  Elaine Barnard is a terrific person, a wonderful speaker and
superb organizer.
My comment about the HTUP derived from a talk Elaine gave a few years back
in which she said, I believe, that Harvard understands power and needs to
keep an eye on a potentially powerful enemy.  She also pointed out the huge
disparity between Harvard's funding of labor (a few rooms in Harvard Square
for Elaine and a tiny staff) and its funding of capital (the B-school).
 On the subject of accepting succor from capital, let me share a brief
anecdote.  I heard a talk recently of an ex-nun, now a feminist and
extremely hostile to the Catholic church, who nevertheless teaches religion
at a Catholic college.  She was asked why she remained there,  why, since
she disagreed with Catholic doctrine, she bothered even engaging in
theological disputes with the church. She replied that she would not be
driven out and leave the old men in control of all the resources and wealth.

        Ellen Frank