I am not aware of any reputable anthropologist or
scientist who claims that the original Native American
Indians did not cross the Bering Strait, although there may
have been scattered crossings from various directions at
various other times.  The problem is that there is great
debate as to when the first crossing was and how many there
were across the Bering Strait.  At a minimum there are
three broadly distinct groups based on languages, which
almost certainly came at different times.
     Much of the more recent controversy has arisen because
of claims that some of the oldest known skulls appear to be
somewhat more "Caucasoid" than more modern skulls,
suggesting that some of the earliest groups might have been
more "Caucasoid" than "Asiatic" or whatever terms one wants
to use here.
     This has created a lot of huffing and
puffing, but frankly I don't see why.  The question of the
"race" of Native American Indians is one that properly
considered raises questions about the whole category of
"race" as a scientific category anyway.  In many older
lists they are assigned as their own race, which neatly
sidesteps the issue.  If one insists on their being at most
three "races" into which everybody must be fit, then there
becomes the question whether they are more "European" or
"Asiatic" or whatever, with most saying "more Asiatic".
But the argument of some "Caucasoid" element is not at all
unlikely for an earlier wave as we see groups in parts of
Northeast Asia who are identified as being
"semi-Caucasoid," i.e. the "hairy" Ainu of Hokkaido in
Japan, the aboriginal group of Japan.  Going the other way
there are groups in Northern Europe who are "semi-Asiatic,"
i.e. the Laplanders.  In Central Asia there are
"Eurasiatics" who are not easily categorized, all of which
simply points out that there are not neat boundaries
between these groups.  That the ancestors of the modern
Native American Indians might have elements of both
"Caucasians" and "East Asians" thus is not at all
surprising and should not be viewed as a big deal.
Barkley Rosser

--
Rosser Jr, John Barkley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]