But surely Charles has a point. Physical characteristics are used , rightly or
wrongly, as
a basis for racial identification even though race is a social construct. That is,
there
is a gross physical basis for people's recognition of someone as being of a certain
race. It is
because of that the black-skinned student faced racial discrimination that her
light-skinned sister did not.  The term "visible minorities" makes sense only if there
physical characteristics
that make them visible.  These physical characteristics are stereotypical but they
nevertheless
exist and it seems wrong to deny that they do or that they have no foundation in
purely physical aspects of people's bodies even if these characteristics are quite
superficial in terms
of any useful biological categories. If black skin had not been a common sign of race
identification then
Papa would not have been able to play his joke on the reporter or to make his point
about the black
hand holding the whip.
    Of course the social aspect may negate or deny the physical. For example a Metis
family
was regarded as Metis when they lived in the poorer Metis section of a northern
settlement
but when their economic status changed and they moved into the more affluent "white"
sectiion of the community they were no longer identified as Metis by either  Metis or
non-Metis or themselves.
    Just make you skin black as was done by someone as I recall and see what happens.
But
it wouldnt have happened to the person without the black skin.
    Cheers, Ken Hanly