Louis writes: >> This happened all the time in Cuba, except they didn' t
have unemployment
>> like in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic.

Dennis writes: >Incidentally, I was just in Jamaica thanks to a family
reunion. The
>poverty there is something ferocious to behold -- the thing is, all the
>violence is internalized. I saw two fights break out ...

At the econ. convention in early January, I heard one speaker (Jagdish
Bhagwati?) talk about how the IMF was micromanaging the world. His example
was that the IMF guy (a young economist who knew nothing at all about
Jamaica) telling the government that they should switch from FM broadcasts
to AM. Who made these guys gods?

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html