Sorry for being a bit flip in my post.  (I send these messages between
reading student papers; this may affect the way I respond...)  As I
understand it, much of the great plains (US and Canada) share the same
acquifer and are steadily drawing it down.  Similar overuse problems
exist to the west as documented in, e.g., the book "Cadillac Desert" by
Marc Reisner.  (This book is now over 10 years old; I don't know the
current situation.)

By "Ostromized" I meant cooperative management of common property
resources without recourse to coercive, centralized measures.  I would
prefer this approach myself, but I can't see how it can deal with the
scope of N. American water problems.

By draconian, I mean: suppose you decide that there is an upper limit to
the population that can settle in a particular region of the US west.
You could establish binding rules governing immigration, construction,
infrastructure development, etc., but I would consider that draconian,
both in its directly coercive effects on millions of people and also in
light of the enforcement apparatus it would entail.  Much better, in my
opinion, would be a set of taxes high enough to elicit the same sort of
response.

I agree that the use of such taxes would pose serious threats to
low-income folks.  Two responses: (1) Good policy would look for
offsetting subsidies and benefits, so that the net impact on low-income
people is not negative.  (2) There shouldn't be low-income people!
Environmental sustainability is one objective but certainly not the only
one.  We must struggle for true economic, social, and political
equality.

Peter Dorman

ps: Yes, aboriginal rights are always a difficult issue when we
Euro-settlers have finished destroying the environment and now want to
set things right.  Should those who have had little part in the
destruction be held to the same remedial rules?  (This comes up in
fishery protection, wilderness set-asides, etc.)  I would like to think
that reasonable people can work this out, so that there can be both
respect for aboriginal rights and cooperation to restore the environment
& resource base.