On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Louis Proyect wrote:

> This happened all the time in Cuba, except they didn' t have unemployment
> like in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic.

Incidentally, I was just in Jamaica thanks to a family reunion. The
poverty there is something ferocious to behold -- the thing is, all the
violence is internalized. I saw two fights break out between street
vendors, arguing over turf while trying to sell knickknacks to a bunch of
us white First World tourists, and suddenly, all of Bob Marley's songs
just made so much sense: the system rules because it gets us all to fight
one another. Jah Love is the mightiest weapon against the powers of
Babylon -- and isn't that what most ordinary Cubans feel towards Fidel,
and why the Cuban Revolution keeps on keeping on?

-- Dennis