--part0_918626843_boundary

Ken,

I think your comments are well taken on one level. It is true that in one
sense, in one context, the Profit<---->Power imperatives and dynamics of
capitalism do indeed lead to risktaking andn investments that lead to cures
for various illnesses, jobs, incomes etc etc; but those same imperatives
produce dynamics of new diseases for which new cures are needed, general
commodification of people and sacreds, meagre and dehamizing jobs and
exploitative income levels.

New technologies however sophisticated and with the potential to do good, if
held by a few for the benefit of the few, or if used for evil, represent not
progress but an even more threatening potential for descent total destruction.
So when taken in a wider context, what appears to be "progressive" in the
abstract may well be dangerous and destructive when taken in historical
context or in the context of how ripe that capitalism is today relative to the
capitalism of the time of Marx; part of Marx's praise for capitalism was
relative to the forms of bondage and exploitation of previous systems. But
Marx also clearly noted that for each blessing capitalism brings, it brings at
least one, often more curse and that the "blessing" is often a mask and
instrument for the curse.

So when we get to net score, I have to see the negatives outweighing--and even
choking off new--positives or possibilities for positives. No doubt capitalism
does bring some wonders relative to previous systems, but if the power grids
go or during extreme natural disasters for example, the "primitives" survive
as it is life as usual, and the "civilized" ones freak out, implode and turn
into some version of Mad Max. That is why Ghandi Ji when asked "What do you
think about Western Civilization" he answered "It sounds like a good idea."

Jim Craven