Max,

>The simple rejoinder is:  why the U.S. entered WWII is not as important as
>the fact that entry contributed to preventing a greater Holocaust
>victimizing even more Jews, Slavs, gypsies, etc.

Clear something up for me, Max. The story I've heard many times is that the
allies knew about and could have done something about the death camps much
earlier but didn't do anything because they didn't want to tip the Nazis off
to the fact that they'd broken their code. If that's so, "preventing a
greater Holocaust victimizing" requires the assumption that tolerating x
deaths to protect the secret nevertheless prevented x + n deaths because of
the strategic advantage of breaking the intelligence code.

Maybe the allied honchos were right, I don't know. But does such a
convoluted strategic calculus constitute a "simple rejoinder"?

regards,

Tom Walker
http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/covenant.htm