I would add that there was a good article on the Colombian attorney
general in CAQ a few issues ago. Some of the civil servants are sincere
in their battle for human rights and against corruption. They are in the
minority however. They receive death threats and are quite often
murdered. Many Colombian judges have been murdered by paras and the drug
gangs.
  The Magdalena Medio is a hell hole. There is a large para base at
Puerto Boyaca on the Magdalena river. There is a sign outside that town
(I've seen it) that says "welcome to the anti-communist capital of the
world". Down the river is Barrancabermeja  the principle oil town in
Colombia and a traditional seat of the Colombia left with the strong and
militant oil workers union (regularly accused and then tortured and
murdered for being ELN members/sympathizers.) as well as strong ELN
presence. So it is the sight of many brutal human rights abuses, street
battles between g's and paras. I was once in a town on the Magdelana
called Mompos where there was a Shell refinery with the "S" burnt out of
the sign. It gave me a grim satisfaction to see this huge sign that said
"HELL" every night when perched on my barstool.
  I really like to hear of Dennis's experience and knowledge of working
in that region.

Sam