A question about U.S. productivity growth and statistics:

Statistics Canada and the Centre for the Study of Living Standards in
Canada have each recently released comparisons of productivity change in
Canada and the US. They claim that, contrary to previous reports and
widespread claims by the usual slash-and-burn-social-services crowd,
Canadian productivity growth has basically matched that in the US over the
last decade or so.

The Centre for the Study of Living Standards calculates that GDP/worker
between 1989 and 1997 grew by 0.9% in both Canada and the U.S., but that
GDP/hours worked actually increased more in Canada - 1.2% vs. 0.8% in the
US. (I forgot to check, but I assume this is per year.)

The big difference is in manufacturing, where US growth is greater. But the
CSLSC study says that if industrial machinery and equiptment and electric
and other electronic equiptment sectors are removed, US productivity growth
is greatly diminished but unchanged in Canada. They cast doubt on the
accuracy of US data (Dept. of Commerce) for these two sectors, noting that
their output doubled over the time period while the rest of manufacturing
output actually decreased in the 1990s.

Any thoughts on why the output and productivity growth in these sectors is
so great compared to others? How much of this is real? Was there some shift
in the data methods or industry definitions?

Bill Burgess