Date sent:              Wed, 19 May 1999 11:35:13 -0700
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From:                   Sid Shniad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                Letter by former prosecutor at Nuremberg war crimes trials re:
        Kosovo

(Published in the Chicago SunTimes last week --
this version found at <www.znet.org>)

U.S. AGGRESSION

Letter by Walter J. Rockler, Former prosecutor, Nuremberg war
crimes trials

As the bombs, smart and dumb, fall ceaselessly on Serbs,
Montenegrins and sometimes Albanians, on bridges, waterworks,
electric generation plants and factories, and on trains, trucks and
homes, the remorseless crusade for "humanitarianism" presses
forward to the applause of journalistic and academic shills. To
paraphrase the Roman historian Tacitus, we are busy creating a
desert, which we can then call peace.

For the United States, alias "NATO," the planning and launching of
this war by the president heightens the abuse and undermining of
warmaking authority under the Constitution. (It seems to be
accepted that the president can order his personal army to attack
any country he pleases.) The bombing war also violates and shreds
the basic provisions of the United Nations Charter and other
conventions and treaties; the attack on Yugoslavia constitutes the
most brazen international aggression since the Nazis attacked
Poland to prevent "Polish atrocities" against Germans. The United
States has discarded pretensions to international legality and
decency, and embarked on a course of raw imperialism run amok.

Our alleged concern with human rights borders on the ludicrous.
We dropped twice as many bombs on Vietnam as all the countries
involved in World War II dropped on each other. We killed
hundreds of thousands of civilians in the course of that war. Very
recently, in Central America, we sponsored, trained and endorsed
the local armies--Guatemalan, Salvadoran, and Nicaraguan
Contras--in the killing of at least 200,000 people. We encouraged
the Pinochet coup in Chile with the resulting killing of another few
thousand or so people, including the democratically elected
president. We saw nothing wrong with the Croat slaughter and
expulsion of 200,000 Serbs from the Krajina area. We have taken
very little stand on the monumental slaughters of hundreds of
thousands, if not millions, of people in Africa. We have restrained
the Iraqis from attacking Kurds but see nothing amiss in Turks
attacking Kurds. We cannot even agree to abandon the use of land
mines.

In reality when we, the self-anointed rulers of this planet, issue an
ultimatum to another country, it is "surrender or die." To maintain
our "credibility," we must crush any semblance of resistance to our
dictates to that country.