Jim Devine wrote:

>I think that econometrics has been misused over and over again (and will be
>misused in the future). It's also not a "neutral tool," since it treat the
>empirical world as simply data. But with a little sophistication, it's
>better than tables of numbers or charts. It seems to me if one accepts
>Tom's root-and-branch dismissal of econometrics, one should reject all
>empirical research involving numbers.

Jim's "root-and-branch" is made of straw. My dismissal is of econometrics as
it is actually practiced and abused, not of the possible usefulness of
particular econometric techniques if they can be rescued from the
overarching context of misuse. Even phrenology contained some useful
observations about the localization of functions in the brain.

regards,

Tom Walker
http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/covenant.htm