William S. Lear wrote:

> Since when is Chomsky a defender of Cartesian dualism?  He has stated
> that since nobody has a definite conception of "body", even posing the
> problem is impossible.

I think you are partly right. What Chomsky means by "Cartesian dualism"
is different from the meaning that is ordinarily attributed to it.
Consider:

  "Recall that Cartesian dualism was straight science: postulation of
something beyond the bounds of body is right or wrong. In fact, right,
though not for Descartes reasons. Rather, for reasons that were
considered most distressing, if not outrageous and intolerable by
leading scientists of the day-- Leibniz, Huygens, Bernoulli and others,
even Newton himself. Newton's trialism is also straight science right or
wrong. and the same is true of the 'man-machine' hypothesis of La
Mettrie and others, and the various efforts to develop 'Locke's
suggestion'

  " The crucial discovery was that bodies do not exist. It is common to
riducule the idea of the 'ghost in the machine'( as in Gilbert Ryle's
influential work, for example). But this misses the point. Newton
exorcised the machine, leaving the ghost intact. Furthermore, nothing
has replace the machine..." in Power and Prospects p42

Kind of puzzling, but the point seems to be that there is no meaningful
distinction between mind and body because there is no way of conceiving
how something could exist and be non-physical.By definition, when
something exists it is physical.Chomsky also says things like:

" Newton demonstrated that the mechanical philosophy could not account
for the phenomena of nature; the Cartesians only argued--not implausibly
, but not conclusively--that aspects of the world fell beyond these
limits" Ibid p6

Chomsky's  dualism is of the epistemological rather than the ontological
variety i.e more about what we can know rather than what exists. I still
find Chomsky's philosophical views very confusing.

Sam Pawlett