Peter Dorman wrote,

>I swear I didn't know it at the time.  I heard that an Amish guy in
>central NY State made fantastic rockers for a low price (a little over
>$100).  So I ordered a chair to be picked up in several months, my head
>filled with thoughts about supporting cultural diversity as well as the
>happy moments I would have reading in my new chair.
>
>When I got there, the chair-maker was behind the cash register, and
>behind him were a gaggle of kids, mostly pre-teen, operating woodworking
>equipment.  And, yes, the chair was beautiful to look at, comfortable to
>sit in, and very, very cheap....

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE DELEGATES OF THE PROVISIONAL GENERAL COUNCIL
INTERNATIONAL WORKING MEN'S ASSOCIATION

THE DIFFERENT QUESTIONS
by KARL MARX
Written at the end of August 1866

4. JUVENILE AND CHILDREN'S LABOUR (BOTH SEXES)

We consider the tendency of modern industry to make children and juvenile
persons of both sexes co-operate in the great work of social production, as
a progressive, sound and legitimate tendency, although under capital it was
distorted into an abomination. In a rational state of society every child
whatever, from the age of 9 years, ought to become a productive labourer in
the same way that no able-bodied adult person ought to be exempted from the
general law of nature, viz.: to work in order to be able to eat, and work
not only with the brain but with the hands too.
.. . .

A gradual and progressive course of mental, gymnastic, and technological
training ought to correspond to the classification of the juvenile
labourers. The costs of the technological a schools ought to be partly met
by the sale of their products.

The combination of paid productive labour, mental education, bodily exercise
and polytechnic training, will raise the working class far above the level
of the higher and middle classes.

It is self-understood that the employment of all persons from 9 and to 17
years (inclusively) in nightwork and all health-injuring trades must be
strictly prohibited by law.