Anecdotal stories sell newspapers and work great for talk show host.

I've got a federal study of illiteracy and innumeracy done in the mid-90's
kicking around somewhere---did you know that a certain percentage of people
with graduate degrees are illiterate!(seriously)

Then there are the poor folks who are bilingual illiterates...

Your email pal,

Tom L.