Carrol Cox wrote:

> Pioneers as it were in the disuse of footnotes were British scholars who
> liked to pretend that only readers who knew the source without a footnote
> were worthy readers. Footnotes were regarded as catering to the great
> unwashed who were too ignorant to recognize a quotation and its source
> at sight.

Same with languages. Marx quoted ancient Greek[he was trained as
classical scholar after all] without translating them. Old school Oxford
scholars like Gibert Ryle used to do this too. Richard Rorty is the only
contemporary I can think of who still does this. Your supposed to know
these languages!
  As Jon Elster says:

" Capital I is a work written for the happy few, by one of them. It
makes no concessions whatsoever to the uneducated reader. Marx assumes
that *his* readers know Latin, Greek and the main European languages.
They should be as well versed in philosophy as in political economy,
with a firm grasp of world history and current political affairs.
Moreover, they should be able to recognize  literary allusions even in
fairly disguised forms. It is a book that stretches the reader's mind to
its limits, as it had no doubt stretched the author's capacities. It is
,in other word, an extreme feat of creativity. In the future communist
society, everyone will be capable of understanding works of this
stature. Indeed, everyone will be capable of writing comparable works,
and will devote most of their time to doing so.
  This may sound like an exaggeration, and on some interpretations of
Marx it is. Yet in one sense it contains an undeniable truth. Marx was
appalled by the miserable, passive existence led mid nineteenth century
workers. At work they were mere appendages of the machines they
operated;at home they were too exhausted to lead any sort of active
life. At best they could enjoy the passive pleasures of consumption.
Marx, bursting with energy, consistently creative and innovative, even
despite himself when he had a work to finish, was at the extreme
opposite pole. He knew the profound pleasures of creation, of
difficulties overcome, of tensions set up and then resolves. He *knew*
that this was the good life for man. And he strived for a society in
which it would no longer be reserved for small privileged minority.
Self-realization through creative work is the essence of Marx's
communism." Making Sense of Marx p521.

Extreme perfectionism!

Sam Pawlett