G'day Rod,

Ormerod is one who makes much of the power of Economics 101 to close the
mind.  By the end of this crucial year, it seems, students have internalised
the homo oekonomicus view of self and others to the degree it has altered
their behaviour in games.  A third-year introduction to dissenting economics
is to run the risk of having your teachings taken on board only as
interesting deviations from the truth.  I like the way Ormerod structures
his book (*The Death of Economics* - I realise Michael Perelman wrote a
similarly titled book, but it costs nearly three figures over here, so I've
not seen it).  He begins by teaching the reader the basic assumptions of
economics and their vital role in the modelling, and then summarily shafts
said premises with a little logic and the odd bit of historical
differentiation.  The book at once does the job of telling the students the
stuff they need to know for second year technical units, and puts in place
from the off a lasting critical mind-set.  Third year might be the right
time to teach complex critiques, but first-year is the time to teach (a)
that models are only models (useful while their limits and abstractions are
recognised, and bloody dangerous where they are not), and (b) that
assumptions must be checked by way of a peek out the window every now and
then.  That isn't too time-intensive, but it is very timely.

Of course, if they actually had the time to read the purported 'founding
father' texts, Adam Smith and David Ricardo themselves would go a long way
to dispelling the power of today's prevailing economic myth.  But students
generally have to hold part-time jobs, look after their little ones, and,
sadly, haven't as much contextual historical general knowledge available to
them as we did but a generation ago (true here in Oz anyway).

Might this be right?

Cheers,
Rob.