michael wrote:

> Let me speculate on the post below.  I suspect that corruption is a necessary
> by-product of that sort of development.  How much could you make tapping into market
>of
> the Indonesian poor.  The rich and the middle class would want fancy imported stuff.
> So, if you are going to be able to round up a bunch of enthusiastic collaborators
>with
> imperialist development, don't you have to offer them an opportunity to steal?

  Corruption in public service often occurs because civil servants are
so low paid. In the private sector, there are also the same incentives
for corruption especially when corrupt practices are so widespread.
Corruption becomes the norm, even to the point where corrupt practices
are to be expected (as in Russia today where firms factor in corruption
in their cost layouts.) If everyone else is stealing and is dishonest,
what is incentive is there for me to play it straight? As you point out
above, in the case of Asia, the close links between
government/finance/production were key in the building of these
economies but also engendered widespread corruption. A necessary
by-product.
   The mainstream accounts of the Asian crisis emphasized corruption or
"crony" capitalism as the key cause in the depressions suffered by
Thailand, Indonesia and S.Korea. This was mostly for ideological reasons
as mainstream pundits cannot accept publicly that instability and
periodic recession/depressions are inherent in the structure of the
capitalism. In itself, I don't think corruption played that important a
role, it is just a symptom  of the underlying processes and irreversible
problems of the capitalist economy. Witness the crisis of the Sumitomo
firm and Barings Bank (as well as many  other Asian banks) caused by
corruption yet had a negligible effect on the economy. Copper prices did
drop slightly but that can be explained by  factors other than the fall
of Sumitomo.

Sam Pawlett