On 21 Sep 99, at 12:35, Doug Henwood wrote:
> ... The 1989-92 period was unusual for the
> length of its stagnation, but GDP was 3% higher in 1992 than in 1989,
> which hardly makes it the worst recession since the 1930s.

Comrade Doug, isn't it time to go beyond marginal changes in GDP
and profit rates for these kinds of "proofs" of K's alleged virility...
and into valorisation/devalorisation processes? No, the data
wouldn't be easy to construct, but for Marxist economists, isn't that
the way in which these cycles tend to really work themselves out?
Once enough overaccumulated K is devalued the animal spirits can
get back to investing? And in the process, how about factoring in
global processes? For the early 1990s, take away half the value of
the Tokyo stock market, a huge chunk of real estate values in
world cities not to mention backwaters, more downward commodity
price pressure, Eastern Europe unravelled, more African countries
trashed (my favourite, Zimbabwe, witnessed a 40% fall in volume of
manufacturing from 1991-95), rising bankruptcy rates, S&L asset
write-downs, etc etc.

Gunder Frank is right to remind us,
> > > if this is not a super disasterous decade of WORLD DEPRESSION,
> > > I would like to be told what it has been, eg by Russians, East Europeans,
> > > East Asians, Central Asians, West Asians, South Americans,
> > > North/West/East/South Africans, and and...
Doug:
> There have been horrible social disasters in these parts of the
> world, but they're not accurately described as recessions or
> depressions in the economic sense except for the former USSR. Africa
> shows positive GDP growth in the 1990s

After someone has suffered a knockout punch, a wee flicker of the
eyelid may indeed seem like positive GDP growth. But last time I
looked around the continent, I mainly saw 1950s per capita GDP
land.

Patrick Bond
(Wits University Graduate School of Public and Development Management)
home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094, Johannesburg
office: 22 Gordon Building, Wits University Parktown Campus
mailing address: PO Box 601 WITS 2050
phones:  (h) (2711) 614-8088; (o) 488-5917; fax 484-2729
emails:  (h) [EMAIL PROTECTED]; (o) [EMAIL PROTECTED]