Not to dispute the imporance of the J2000UK comrades' work and
success in mobilising so far, but there's an interesting debate about
anti-debt strategies, tactics and analysis, including whether to call
G-8 Koln reforms "a great step forward." Many in Jubilee South argue
precisely the opposite: the IMF comes out stronger; the rich-country
politicians smell a bit nicer; and conditions associated with this
"relief" are in fact going to kill many more Third World people.

I'll say all this, in as open and constructive way as I can here, not
as someone with any responsibility for J2000 campaigning, and with no
intention of knocking the very very hardworking folk in London and
other northern sites--but as a petit-bourgeois intellectual (in
Johannesburg) who is worried that, as in the case of anti-apartheid
solidarity organising, too small a goal (by southerners and
northerners alike) leads to less critical analysis than need be, and
partly as a result, a potentially unsatisfying outcome.

I'll give you details, if you like, from Mozambique, the BWIs'
poster-child. (Much more is available if this is not convincing, in
large part from J2000UK's Joe Hanlon.) There, 1998 debt "relief" (of
US$10 mn on a $110mn annual repayment burden) came at the cost of a
World Bank condition (signed by the great Wolfensohn himself)
demanding that the Mozambique parliament quintuple public health
cost-recovery rates and privatise all municipal water with "dramatic"
increases in consumer tariffs. The 1999 debt relief deal, just after
Koln, amounting to another $28 mn (still leaving far more in annual
repayment requirements than is spent on education and health in this,
the world's poorest country, ravaged for 15 years by an
apartheid/US-induced civil war), and calls for an end to any rural
water initiative driven by the state, in favour of full-cost-recovery
privatisation.

For the implications of more power to the IMF, e.g. through the
gold-sale additions to reserves, check PEN-Ler Bob Naiman's powerful
attack on IMF ESAF devastation of Africa, worth getting off the
Preamble website (Bob is it http:\\www.preamble.org )?

J2000 South chapters have been trading critical position papers about
how to deal with "reforming" the G-8/BWI proposals. In Johannesburg
in mid-November, I gather that a terrific conference will take
further at least one JSouth position: that it is not just "debt" but
"development" that must be questioned. A new "Africa Consensus," for
example, is being devised by some terrific NGOs and churches to pick
up on all the critiques of Wash-Con and Post-Wash Con, and to advance
into far more radical development territory. Similar discussions are
underway in Asia and Latin America.

In other words, this movement is about neither a "final" or a
"short" burst of activity up to 2000. An excellent network has
launched a variety of superb campaigns out of this, and I would guess
that not just the debt, but the very existence of the IMF and WB will
soon come under the spotlight.

Check the following website for a really stimulating paper on these
debates by Dot Keet of the University of the Western Cape:
http:\\aidc.org.za

And no J2000 South chapter that I know of works closely with Jeff
Sachs, either. Consistency in this kind of longer-haul campaigning is
terribly important.

P.