Jim Devine wrote:
>One solution is that instead of subsidies and below-market loans, the
>cities should say: okay, if you -- the NFL fatdogs -- want our money, you
>have to give us equity (i.e., part-ownership) in exchange. After all, we're
>taking a big risk, so we should be treated like other risk-takers.

This is exactly the case with the Green Bay Packers (smallest city in the NFL).

While I agree with most of what Henry writes, on this issue I think he
is wrong.  He claims that it is controversial as to whether the teams benefit
the city more than the subsidies.  I would like to know about any studies,
other than those done for the teams asking for the subsisdies that show
something other than a loss.  (This is not a rhetorical request - I teach
Urban and Regional and need to know if these studies exist) I have not seen
any.

As someone has noted, the regional subsidies issue is just a beggar-thy-
neighbor policy.  At the level of national GDP, regional subsidies do not
increase GDP.  All they do is to reallocate $ from HH and Gov't to
corporations.  The only way to claim this is progreessive is to buy into
the idea that business always uses $ more wisely than gov't.

Doug Orr
[EMAIL PROTECTED]