>Gee, it seems that either a lot of folks have read much more
>post-modernist stuff than I have or maybe it's that it is easier to make
>sweeping generalizations about something on the basis of hearsay. There's
>a lot of crap that gets written under the pretension of
>post-modernism. The same can easily be said for "marxism" or
>"sociology".
>
>The "Post Modern Condition" happens to be the name of a specific book by a
>particular author, Lyotard. Other than that "post-modern" is a sloppy
>label or a reviewer's crib for "a bunch of those French guys, you know the
>ones I mean."
>
>Temps Walker
>Sandwichman and Deconsultant

I've read every postmodern philosopher & literary critic of
importance (and then some); it's a part of the occupational hazards
of grad students in English.  Therefore, my view is a considered
view, and if you so desire, I can quote from Derrida, Foucault,
Lacan, Kristeva, etc., chapter & verse, and point out problems with
more specificity.  In fact, I've already written quite a bit on the
subject, and if you look into the LBO-talk archive (also the PEN-L
archive, to a lesser extent), you'll find more of my criticisms of
postmodern writers than you'd probably care to.

Should you find my criticisms unsatisfactory, take a look at Ellen
Meiksins Wood, _The Retreat from Class_, for instance.

Yoshie