Friedman's words are often cited as gospel.  He is correct that increases
in the money supply validate inflation but I don't think that it is the
cause.  For example prices fell in the late 19th C. because of
competition, not a smaller money supply.  As firms consolidated, prices
began to rise.  New gold discoveries might have helped, but only helped.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321