At 01:11 AM 09/09/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>Will Goldilocks meet the Three Bears now, Jim D.?

hey, inflation driven by high oil prices might be a _good_ thing, because
it might prevent asset-price deflation and the resulting debt-deflation
depression! Inflation is one way to get rid of unsustainable debts...

On the other hand (and more likely), an oil price spike might encourage the
Fed to push the  US and world economies into a tail-spin (the
aforementioned debt-deflation depression, with a large component of
underconsumption).

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] & http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~JDevine
"From the east side of Chicago/ to the down side of L.A.
There's no place that he gods/ We don't bow down to him and pray.
Yeah we follow him to the slaughter / We go through the fire and ash.
Cause he's the doll inside our dollars / Our Lord and Savior Jesus Cash
(chorus): Ah we blow him up -- inflated / and we let him down -- depressed
We play with him forever -- he's our doll / and we love him best."
-- Terry Allen.