Although payments to farmers are always discussed as subsidies, I prefer to
think of them as covering the difference between marginal cost -- what the
farmer sells at -- and average cost, which includes overhead cost.  Farmers
can't cover total costs while selling at marginal cost.  So farming is not
a viable business, but we prefer to eat.  And of course the US uses food as
a weapon in various ways.

    The above  ignores the reality that the Federal payments go mainly to
corporate agriculture, while family farmers gradually disappear from US
agriculture.

Gene Coyle