Charles Brown wrote:

CB: I thought it was disturbing a few years ago when the Labor Party Prime
Minister ( President ? ) of Israel was assassinated for his peace efforts by
a rightwing student, and then in the election the majority of the voters put
the Likud Party leader in. That seemed to be a fascist like act besmirching
the Israeli masses by their indirect , almost endorsement of it.

MK: Yes, and it may happen once again. Already "Bibi" is being groomed to
step into the void Barak is expected to create. Not unlike the parallel
reemergence of Berlusconi in Italy and even the Conrad Black-mouthpiece
Conservatives in Britain. All of which is to say that without a valid Left
alternative, itself founded within the grassroots, all that remains is the
recourse to Haider and his ilk. It's not so surprising that the consequences
of that recourse are of less import to a great many than simply getting rid
of a status quo with which people are fed up. It's easier from a distance to
see the bigger picture, after all. In the heat of the moment such
perspective does not often result in formulating a popular (as in populist)
position. Remember the electoral cost borne by Oskar Lafontaine when he
refused to get caught up in the euphoria of German reunification.

I was no fan of Milosevic, but I think it is important to remember how he
and his coterie were deprived of options more conducive to democratic
self-determination by those elsewhere purporting to be their intellectual
and moral superiors. Our leaders are complicit in the crimes committed by
that regime. Think of the succession of Trilateral Commission great-and-good
who helped preside over the nationalistic fragmentation of the former
Yugoslavia: Cyrus Vance, David Owen (Lord Owen of Split), Richard Holbrooke,
Thorvald Stoltenberg, Carl Bildt. And Louis P. and others perform a valuable
service by highlighting the likely trajectory of developments following his
departure.

Michael K.