Michael Perelman wrote:

>I tried to tell the story of the Great Depression of the late 19th century
in my
>book, End of Economics.  Not only did the Depression occur in the way Jim
cited
>Doug Dowd, but most of the leading economists of the time in the United States
>explicitly recognized that reality.

Right.  And it's pretty much Michael's story of the late 19th century, from
a piece I came across online, that I had in mind. See:

   Marx, Devalorization, and the Theory of Value
   http://www.ucm.es/wwwboard/bas/messages/223.htm

also, more specifically:

   Devalorization, Crises, and Capital Accumulation in the Late Nineteenth
Century
   United States
   http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/econ-value/files/96sessions.txt

I was also thinking of an intriguing expression -- "the left-wing of
devalorization" -- used by my long ago Cazadero camp-mate, Loren Goldner, to
refer to proponents of Keynesian welfare state policies. Goldner used the
expression polemically but his usage got me to thinking about its deeper
implications for crisis theory. If we think of welfare statism as the
"left-wing of devalorization", might not we think of NAIRU era labour
supply-side policies as the "right-wing of 'left-wing' devalorization".

In the second piece, Michael refers to the post-civil-war overinvestment in
fixed capital. To me the striking parallel in the more recent period is the
post-WW II overinvestment in educational credentials, which incidentally
shifted from social overinvestment in the 1960-1970s ("do not fold spindle
or mutilate") to competitive private overinvestment in the 1980s-1990s (the
pursuit of marketable skills). And, yes, Veblen has an uncanny contemporary
relevance, here.

Often when people talk about the historical composition of "needs", they
have in mind simply an enlarging absolute bundle of commodities. But what
about the _specificity_ of many of those needs to labour market entry and
participation? Are life-long learning, home offices, dressing for success,
UMC (upwardly mobile copulation), and owning a car to commute to work final
consumption goods or a subtle repackaging and "putting out" of the more
highly competitive (and less profitable) means of production? Immiseration
may thus be conceived of as not just relative to other people's consumption
-- let alone some absolute standard of subsistence -- but also as relating
to the mix of individually optional and objectively compulsory
(conspicuous?) items of consumption.

If anyone has the slightest clue what I'm rambling on about, I'd appreciate
feedback. I sense that what I'm saying is at the margin of comprehensibility
and hence hard to articulate. The best I can do is pile up metaphors in the
hope that they come crashing down in the right direction. What I'm getting
at is a sense in which "labour" in the late 20th century has come to display
characteristics more or less specific to "capital" in the late 19th -- not a
physical, but a social "cyborganization".

Tom Walker
Sandwichman and Deconsultant
Bowen Island, BC