Justin Schwartz wrote:

> The reason music used to sound like vinyl is that it was on vinyl, pops,
> scratches, and all. But if you want to listen to final, feel free. Me, I am
> happy listening to classic jazz that was unavailable in vinyl. AND that
> sounds lots better than it could on dusty old '78s or LP salvaged from the
> 50s.

Only because the old LP's and SP's were mono and not stereo recordings.
Analogue is superior to digital because  the digitial coding process
loses sound that doesn't fall into the 01-01-01 pattern. Stereo LP's in
decent condition with a decent stereo sound  better than CD's.
Especially in the case of acoustic music where silence between notes is
important. Piano roll recordings were in stereo, so LP's like
Rachmaninov's, Friedman's, J-R Mortons piano roll recordings sound like
they were recorded yesterday even though they were recorded int he
1920's.

 Do you want to know what a Blue Note LP from 55 sounds like now, if you
> can find it?

Not bad. If you have original Blue Note pressings from the 50's you are
rich. Same with the RCA Living Stereo series where even LP's in mediocre
shape go for $75.

There  have been some great re-issues in jazz and many hundreds still
crying for re-issue. (Sonny Criss complete Imperial Sessions--those LP's
are worth 100's of dollars, Grant Green- Solid, Larry Young-
Unity,Brotzmann-Nipples,  Andrew Hill and so on), the problem is many
are only limited  issue and are still very expensive. Same with
classical music, though the big companies(EMI,DG,etc. whose classical
music divisions are in trouble) are now re-issuing their back
catalogues at super cut prices. You can get Marc-Andre Hamelin's Alkan
recording for $12.Will everything eventually be re-issued on CD? Maybe.

Sam Pawlett