Gene Coyle wrote:

>Tom, I think you are on to something here.  Tell us more.

I wish I knew more and/or knew how to tell it. The point about productivity
transcending labour input comes from the famous 10 pages in the Grundrisse
(pp. 704-714), which have been elaborated upon by, e.g., Moishe Postone and
Andre Gorz in recent years. I've put some of that material up on my website
at: http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/dispose.htm

The paradox of hours increasing when they could, more efficiently, be
substantially reduced is in my view a narrative failure, which is to say
what is happening doesn't fit into our habituated ways of talking about what
is going on so we deny what is happening and instead tell a story about it
that will be more readily accepted because of its conventionality -- this is
like the joke about the drunk searching for his car keys under the street
lamp instead of where he dropped them "because the light is better over here."

I want to be quite explicit that such narrative substitution is not
exclusive to defenders of the status quo. For example, my own first response
to Chris Burford's inquiry was to resort to the more conventional, albeit
still critical, account. As a story-teller, as a human being, it is most
important to me that I not lose my audience, which may mean that
comprehensibility takes precedence over truth.

The story missing from our repetoire, the story we cannot tell (perhaps
because we are ashamed to tell it?), is the story about the emancipation
from work. Its absence is all the more remarkable because it is one of the
most basic stories in our cultural tradition. I am referring, of course, to
the story of Paradise. For us, "Paradise Lost" is not a mythological place
we have been driven out of but a story about our experience that we are no
longer capable of uttering (that is to say, Paradise has been driven out of
us).

Instead of potentially as emancipation *from* work, we relate to our
condition absurdly as a scarcity of work, as a scarcity of social
domination. Mainstream economists reassure us continually that, provided we
follow their prescriptions, there will be plenty of work to go around -- as
if more work and not freedom from work is what we should want. Such
"reassurance" is ironic because its point is primarily to confirm our bogus
anxieties about the "scarcity" of social domination and secondarily to
secure our allegiance to a means for alleviating the terrifying scarcity,
for extending and deepening the social domination. It would be comic if the
consequences were not so grim.

I said such assurance was ironic because if I said it was "satanic" some
readers might assume I am some kind of religious nut (instead of just a
literary crackpot). According to some interpretations (which I obviously
favour) William Blake's line about "dark Satanic mills" referred not to
sooty factories or the hypocritical established church but to the
"reassuring" utilitarian calculus that embraces domination and rejects
emancipation. In this Blakian sense, American men are working 4 more hours a
week than they did 20 years ago "because the devil made me do it"! (Maybe
that's what the homily about the devil making work for idle hands *really*
means.)

"From all the works I have read on the subject, the richest nations in the
world are those where the greatest revenue is or can be raised; as if the
power of compelling or inducing men to labour twice as much at the mills of
Gaza for the enjoyment of the Philistines, were a proof of any thing but a
tyranny or an ignorance twice as powerful." Thus wrote an anonymous
pamphleteer in February 1821 in a pamphlet Engels credited Marx for having
"rescued from oblivion" (Capital, vol. II, p. 94 in the Vintage edition) and
which Marx praised as containing "an important advance on Ricardo. It
bluntly describes surplus-value . . . as surplus labour, the labour which
the worker performs gratis, the labour he performs over and above the
quantity of labour by which the value of his labour power is replaced." (Op.
cit., p. 95 [quoted from Theories of Surplus Value, Part III, pp. 238-239]).
This is the same pamphlet Marx cites on page 706 of the Grundrisse
immediately after, and presumably as confirmation of, his own arresting
summary: "Forces of production and social relations -- two different sides
of the development of the social individual -- appear to capital as mere
means, and are merely means for it to produce on its limited foundation. In
fact, however, they are the material conditions to blow this foundation
sky-high."

What have we here? "To blow this foundation sky-high"? Hyperbole? Certainly.
Apocalypticism? Wishful thinking? No. In some sense, though, the exclamation
marks a failure of words adequate to describe the profundity of the
contradiction Marx is trying to grasp, namely the "contradiction between the
foundation of bourgeois production and its development." "HOLY SHIT! JEEEZUS
FUCKING CHRIST!" he may as well have been muttering to himself (in German,
though, of course).

Contra-diction -- could it not be, then, that the expression (increasing
hours of work) is somehow "saying the opposite" of what the development is
unfolding (decreasing socially necessary labour time). And isn't this
disjuncture -- a widening gulf, really -- exactly what many of us are
experiencing or anticipating as "crisis"?

"The material conditions to blow this foundation sky-high." Kinda scary,
isn't it? Maybe if we just put in a few more hours of overtime at work it
will go away. Welcome to the new millennium.