As it happens I am doing something very similar, as part of an effort to
figure out why personal income _inequality_ is strongly (negatively)
related to (age-adjusted) mortality rates in US cities, but not in Canadian
cities. In other words, do more -- and more equal -- public goods in
Canadian cities (schools, transit, libraries, sewers, etc.) mitigate some
of the negative effects of personal income inequality that prevail in the
US?  (Of course, personal income itself is also strongly negatively related
to mortality, but an additional? inequality effect seems to apply over the
range of income.)

BTW, some good recent work on the relation of income inequality and
mortality is by Australian epidemiologist John Lynch. He offers a
"neo-material" explanation for this relation in place of some of the
'social capital' ideas (trust, cohesion, civic participation, etc.)
recently discussed on Pen-L.

If anyone is working on similar points, please contact me to compare notes.

Bill Burgess