Indeed it was harmful because it was ahistorical; it
generalised an immediate manifestation of history into
a rule of historical development. There is a certain
rigidity that belongs more to physics than to social
science. This case pertains more to the Latin American
Structurlist School than it does to Frank; i.e. it
cannot be generalised to people like Frank. My
question, however, was illustrative but pertinent as
it obviously provoked this sort of reply from you.
Your note brings into question this whole period of
sixties and its successes or failures certainly
insofar as it was followed by the rise of conservatism
in the developed world and the consequences attendant
on that. So as reform policy goes, its halfhearted
measures and class origin pre-empted its
discontinuity. It seems to have flared up once by a
majority of a "half-educated" lot, as they were called
by the conservatives denoting people who wanted change
but were not bright enough to provide an alternative,
others called them confused middle class kids, but in
all a successful reform policy becomes institionlized
and effective relative to the its articulation with
the local and international class formations. So, as
long as America's big business can be good to
Americans and bad for others the structuralist may
have a point worth thinking about. Conversely, when
big business becomes bad for everybody that is when
structuralism fails and Marxism wins.