-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Student Protests Against Horowitz Ad
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 05:56:49 -0500 (EST)
From: Black Radical Congress <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is a Press Release/Statement from the Black Radical Congress

The Black Radical Congress (BRC)

For Immediate Release

March 28, 2001

Contact: Erica Smiley, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         Sam Anderson, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BRC STATEMENT ON STUDENT PROTESTS AGAINST HOROWITZ AD

The recent attack on Black people mounted by ultra-right
winger David Horowitz, in full-page, anti-reparations
advertisements which he attempted to publish on more than
50 university campuses nationwide, has created an unsafe
climate for Black students on those campuses. The content
of the ads, particularly in the absence of any refuting
arguments, constitutes a message of hate, pure and simple.

In attacking the basic concept of reparations, a concept
the Black Radical Congress strongly supports and which is
rapidly gaining diverse support around the country, the ad
maliciously misrepresents the activities and perspectives
of historical Black movements.

We stand by the declaration in our Freedom Agenda, that "As
the descendants of enslaved Africans, we have the legal and
moral right to receive just compensation for the oppression,
systematic brutality and economic exploitation Black people
have suffered historically, and continue to experience today."

But even more outrageous than Horowitz's views -- views he
is constitutionally entitled to express -- is his use of
campus newspapers as the principal weapon to specifically
target a nearly defenseless population: Black youth.
Obviously, he knows that Black students lack access to
the financial means required to mount a counter-attack.

The Black Radical Congress applauds the valiant efforts of
Black students and their supporters -- White, Latino, Asian
and Native American students -- who are protesting the
use of institutional publications by the equivalent of a
Holocaust-denier to purvey his white supremacist ideology.
We join these students in demanding that universities
provide a safe and positive environment for all of
their students, equally. The First Amendment does
not justify racism or entitle hateful people to
destabilize and render dangerous the learning
environments of Black youth.

-30-

Black Radical Congress
National Office