En relación a Query for Nestor,
el 1 May 01, a las 15:53, Louis Proyect dijo:
>               1975 HDI      1998 HDI     gain
>
> Argentina      0.781         0.837     +0.056
>
> This strikes me as odd. Is Argentina so much better off today than it was
> in 1975? Or are there better years to use as a time-frame?

Well, 1975 was the year of the first hyperinflation and economic sabotage
in preparation of the 1976 coup was rampant while the Peronist government
was absolutely paralyzed. The good year for comparison would have been
1974,  however. As to 1998, this was the year when recession (which is
already clearly a depression) set in. So that all in all, both are bad
years for comparisons. Of course, I do not need to tell you, dear Lou, that
you cannot reduce such a game to a single indicator. There is, however, a
major problem here: what is the HDI? If the "I" stands for "income" and it
has to do with income distribution, then obviously the point of departure
would have had to be 1974, and on the other hand I would begin to smell a
rat with so gorgeous figures: maybe some privately generated indicator...

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Louis Proyect