At 01:33 PM 5/8/01 -0400, you wrote:
>[The call letters EVD stand for Eugene Victor Debs, whom the station
>honored at its inception. It has been the voice of liberal/radical Jewry
>for many decades.]

the call letters of radio stations often include vestiges of history. In
Chicago, where I'm from, there's WGN (World's Greatest Newspaper, the
Chicago TRIBUNE, which now owns the L.A. TIMES), WLS (the World's Largest
Store, i.e. Sears), and, surprisingly, WCFL (named after the Chicago
Federation of Labor). When I was growing up (to the extent that I did), the
latter two were the big competing top-40 AM rock stations.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine